While trying to book phone briefings for a tech client, this wonderful reply from James Powell, Editorial Director of Enterprise Systems, came to my Inbox. I share it so that others may learn.
In my time, I’ve said what Mr. Powell outlines below to clients, sometimes, with little or no luck. He's been kind enough to let me share ... certain contact information withheld for his benefit … and mine!
The Lesson? Listen before you speak. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason (to quote everyone’s grandmother).
And thank you, James, for your cooperation.
I hear you.
-----Original Message-----
From: James Powell
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 1:01 PM
To: Robert Minicucci
Subject: [Client name and product] at Interop.. request phone briefing
Hi, Robert.
I will be happy to attend a telephone briefing if:
1. The product has shipped or will be shipping within one week of our meeting. We DO NOT run stories about product announcements -- only products (or services) that are shipping.
2. You avoid all technical jargon. I am not interested in a briefing filled with three-letter acronyms. If you have a new technology or new feature, I want to know the problem it solves, how IT currently tries to solve the problem, and how competing products address (or do not
address) the problem. Save the technology explanations for your press release. I have to cover ALL mainframe technologies; I am not a virtualization expert or a storage expert or a systems expert.
3. The main information drawn for product/service announcements we publish comes from the press packet you send (press release, backgrounders, etc.), NOT from the telephone briefing. Be sure the press release is available at the time of the briefing (we will honor embargoes).
…
If you have further questions, feel free to reply to this message.
James E. Powell
Editorial Director
No comments:
Post a Comment